In a response to the threats made against Champion High School on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, the Boerne Police Department successfully apprehended the primary suspect on Thursday, February 1, 2024, just after 7 p.m.
The 16-year-old suspect, a former Boerne ISD student, was taken into custody on Friday, February 2, 2024. The individual is now facing three felony charges: Terroristic Threat, Terrorism, and False Report.
“It is very important for everyone – parents and kids – to understand this is not something to ever take lightly or joke about,” Police Chief Steve Perez said. “This swatting incident caused unnecessary panic and stress for countless parents, teachers, students, and the entire Boerne community.”
The threats were reported on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, at 9:25 a.m., prompting immediate action from the Boerne Police Department. The caller claimed that bombs had been placed at Champion High School, with an additional report of an individual with a gun on campus. Simultaneously, Boerne High School faced a separate potential threat, resulting in a lockdown. The threats at the two schools were separate incidents that coincidentally occurred at the same time.
“It is unfortunate that we continue to see hoax calls increasing across the country, but we will always take them seriously,” Perez said. “Although this action requires many resources, I am very proud of how our team responded on Wednesday and how quickly our investigators worked to track down the suspect. My hope is that that the quick apprehension of the responsible party provides comfort to our community.”
Following a thorough investigation at both high schools, it was confirmed that the threats were unsubstantiated, with no bombs or guns found on any Boerne ISD campuses.
Chief Perez expressed gratitude for the collaborative efforts of Boerne ISD, Boerne Fire Department, Kendall County Sheriff's Office, Kendall County EMS, and state and federal partners.