SAN ANTONIO, Texas — A San Antonio man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison after pleading guilty to intoxication manslaughter in a crash that killed another driver, according to the Bexar County District Attorney's Office.
Officials said 28-year-old Arthur Hugo Ruiz was sentenced Monday, May 18, 2026, in the 226th District Court on a charge of intoxication manslaughter with a deadly weapon finding.
Prosecutors said the crash occurred in March 2025 when Ruiz failed to stop at a stop sign, causing a collision that killed Victor Manuel Zarate-Avila. Authorities said Zarate-Avila was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators said Ruiz fled the crash on foot but was later apprehended.
According to prosecutors, Ruiz showed clear signs of intoxication and admitted to drinking alcohol before the crash. A blood test later revealed his blood alcohol concentration was .161, more than twice the legal limit.
The investigation also determined that Juan Escalante Linares, who had been driving Zarate-Avila’s vehicle, fled the scene without rendering aid or calling emergency services.
Officials said Linares later turned himself in and was sentenced in December 2025 to 12 years in prison for failure to stop and render aid.
Assistant Criminal District Attorney Raul Jordan led the prosecution, assisted by Victim Advocate Brandy Jimenez and Investigator Jorge Felan.
“No one should have to endure the heartbreak of losing a loved one due to something as preventable as drunk driving,” Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said. “We are thankful for today’s outcome, and we hope it serves as a reminder of the profound consequences of alcohol consumption. We urge everyone to make responsible decisions to ensure their safety and the safety of others.”